I went with a layer of Citadel Tallarn sand first; it’s the same color I use for my other bases.
It’s also an almost dried up pot so mixing it with airbrush thinner is one of the few ways to still paint with it.
I airbrushed the color on, it covered well enough, but the dark primer still came trough a bit, which made the shadows look good.
I picked up a desert color from Vallejo’s game air range, hoping it was similar to the Tallarn sand, turns out it’s a bit more yellow. Which isn’t an issue, but it means I need another desert color to really replace the Tallarn sand. (on the shopping list for next friday 😀 )
I used the Desert Yellow next, and I made a quick video of the result:
Then I washed the entire base with Citadel Agrax Earthshade (just a heads up, these projects soak up quite an amount of wash, because of the large surface and absorbing material)
The wash really brought out lots of detail.
After the shade was dry I first drybrushed the base using Tallarn sand (as this was the darker sand color and the highlight needs to build up the the lightest color (white)).
I then applied a drybrush of the Desert Yellow, moved on to P3 jack Bone and finished with P3 menoth White Highlight. In the shadow zones I added another wash of Citadel Seraphim Sepia, creating a red hue.
I based the 2 skulls in Jack bone, washed them with Agrax Earthshade and then highlighted them again with Jack Bone.
After all was dry I drybrushed the entire base again using the Citadel Dry compound “Tyrant Skull”.
The result looks like this:
I will need to do some shopping for vegetation to put on the base. I have wasteland tufts and they fit the color palette, but I want some more variation. I’m planning to put some tufts on the back side to make that side more vivid and add variation, and then I’m looking for some more unique additions for the front end, when the skull is placed above the lions head. I’m not really sure what I want, but once I get to see some options at the shot I’ll know what I want to do.
I won’t be able to get over to the store before Thursday so if I post anything new before Sunday it’ll be about the progress on painting the Mammoth itself.